Sunday, January 17, 2010

Why no Pirahna II: The Spawning?

I'm generally a pretty big fan of SNL's digital shorts, which tend to stick out of what are generally pretty mediocre shows. Whether or not this is due to their non-live nature, I don't know.

More specifically, I'm a big fan of their occasional series Laser Cats. The basic gist of these shorts is that Andy Samberg and Bill Hader keep trying to get Lorne Michaels to greenlight this terrible idea for a science-fiction epic set in the future, where cats indeed can shoot lasers and are used by humans for brutal laser warfare. Lorne Michaels clearly doesn't like the idea, and has basically banned the two from mentioning it, so Samberg and Hader have to resort to getting celebrity guests to trick Michaels into watching another installment. Last time, they had Steve Martin, which was funny because Martin tried to pass off Laser Cats as a veiled allusion to King Lear.

This time, they got James Cameron, and these are the results:

They manage to reference every single James Cameron spectacle, save (sadly) for The Abyss and True Lies (I haven't seen either movie in a while--feel free to prove me wrong). Oddly, this video helped illustrate an idea I've had for a while that Avatar and Aliens could conceivably take place in the same universe--the AMP suit brandished by the bad guy in Avatar and its similarity in construction to what Ripley used to battle the queen alien being the most obvious example. Then I started thinking, conceivably, that the Terminator stories could fit in there somewhere as well...and since you have Aliens you might as well have Predator...and from there I started devising a new Wold Newton sci-fi cosmology and of course I realized how sad I was.

It's funny, but I prefer sketches like Laser Cats to what Samberg has been doing with the Lonely Island these past few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment